Tuesday, July 28, 2009

nadine


My name----it is said-----means HOPE. Mom said that when I
was born, she named me NADINE, because I WAS
EVERYTHING THAT I HOPED FOR. Daddy said that he HOPED
I DIDN'T START A WAR. As a child, I DISLIKED MY NAME,
INTENSELY, so much SO, that I REFUSED TO ANSWER TO IT.
In MY MIND, the name NADINE conjured up IMAGES of
STERN, hatchet-faced women, who were SHORT-TEMPERED
and/or NUTS. Nadines----in MY MIND----were THREATENING
women! They were the KIND OF WOMEN who would take
WORMS out of the mouths of BABY ROBINS, and EAT THEM
RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM!!! Nadines HATED anything SMALL,
FUZZY and CUTE. Next to HOUSEPAINT and LIGHTBULBS,
BABY ROBINS were the PITS! But ONCE I started writing a STORY, with the MAIN
CHARACTER named NADINE, I found that this NAME
CONJURED UP IMAGES OF PLAYFULNESS and
MISCHIEVIOUSNESS. Guess I SORTA GREW UP...

No comments:

Post a Comment